The Amazing Adventures of Tom and Bel

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Sharp As A...

Taking a page from Miss Sahara over @ SistahCraft, I am happily swatching for the Boy-O's new hat & scarf. Yes, it's distracting me from the gift knitting for people who don't actually live with me, but I need to be distracted right now. I want to regroup and revisit that list before I go any further. (Heck, I've got to find the list before I go any further.)

So, anyway: swatching! I love swatching. I demand it of all my students and paraphrase what Lily C. said to an advanced cable knitting class once: "Swatchers get what they deserve...non-swatchers deserve what they get." (!)
Despite the fact that some of my favorite knitbloggers are quite loath to swatch, I still feel this way. Different strokes, ya know? Variety makes the world go 'round, and we rabid swatchers aren't gonna change them.

This shot is fairly true to life:

I'm using Jo Sharp Aran Tweed in Ivy, which, if you've seen it is the most non-color of colors.
The spouse loves it. (Sigh. Getting that man to wear something that isn't the color of mud is a miracle!)
At first, I worried that his chosen stitch pattern wouldn't show, but I'm satisfied on that score:

Now I'm more worried about the yarn itself. The first few feet of it have been rather unsatisfactory (thick/thin spots, one break thus far. Anyone out there got some experience with this one?

4 Comments:

  • hello!

    i'm myra and i just found your blog while surfing along on Delphine Wilson, one of my favourite knitwear designers. stumbled acrros your Delphine Along! is it still going on?

    hope you don't mind me poppng bye and asking, and please do feel free and leave a message on my LJ :=)

    /m

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:54 PM  

  • I've been somewhat disappointed with other of various "tweed" yarns. I like the look of them very much, but have found Rowan, Jo Sharp and others to be as you say-- uneven and easily broken. I did have some wonderful Tivoli Aran tweed, but I've used it all. Sigh.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:41 PM  

  • While I think your chosen stitch for this yarn is fanstastic (I'm loving the subtlety), the fact that the yarn is acting up is not cool. That's why I like to swatch. I'd be HEATED, if I knitted Mr. K a sweater and the un-even patch weakens and tears.

    No point in exchanging it, if their are other sufferers out there. I'd take pics of the damaged yarn and email the company about it.

    Harrisville, Black Watter Abby and Jamieson & Smith spin sturdy, reputable tweeds. Black Water has the best yardage for the weight and price, I think.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:20 AM  

  • I've used JS Aran Tweed with no problem, but a friend has had major issues with gauge and yarn qual. When I gave her an old ball of mine she found major differences - it appears some of the newer batches might be somewhat inconsistent. If you want to see what I mean her blog is knitting.va.com.au - check out her posts in relation to trying to get gauge for 'rogue' late july 2005.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home