The Amazing Adventures of Tom and Bel

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Back In the Saddle

My trip to Chicago was surprising - much better than I expected. We grieved for the loss of my uncle, of course, but we also celebrated his life. It was a genuinely joyful service, and I cherished the opportunity to reconnect with so much of my dad's family. There are so many of us that I think it's nearly impossible to know who we all are.
(Dad comes from a family of 17 children -- no, that is not a typo. When my grandmother passed away almost 20 years ago, she had 87 grandchildren. My cousin and I figure that number has probably doubled by now.)
Thank you for the condolences: they were much appreciated.

I was also able to get copies of our marriage certificate and start the process of changing my name. It's funny; every time it comes up in conversation, I'm invariably talking with a woman who didn't change hers. I like and appreciate having the option to do either.
(Hurrah for feminism and its freedoms! I'm feeling really grateful about that, among other things.)

In knitting news, I'm still working on the corset -- it's coming along nicely, though since I am in-between sizes, it will definitely require the hard-core wet blocking technique I usually reserve for lace shawls. I'm working on the last two charts and should be done in a couple of days.

I am trying to decide what's next on the knitting agenda. Although it is still entirely too hot to breathe, I'm looking at KnitPicks' new fall collection. So many lovely colors, so many already started projects, so little time!
I may have to match up a few of these with some of the lovely things in the Fall 2005 Vogue Knitting...

3 Comments:

  • Oh sweet Secret Pal of mine! I enjoyed reading about your politics, being a black woman myself (although I might not be from the U.S.) I agreed with what you wrote!

    In other news, by the pics of that corset, you are...truly...a knitting queen, so there, I've found you a new title :)

    I hope you have a superb day with no lousy naughty neighbours!

    Your SP

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:43 AM  

  • Ya know, I've been a feminist since bra burning was popular, but I changed my name when I remarried 5 years ago.

    (Of course, I'd changed it when I married the first time too.)

    I really didn't think I would, and my new DH said he didn't care either way; after all I'd spent most of my career with that name. Then, I got something in the mail in my new name, and it made him so happy that I went right out and starting changing it everywhere.

    Do what you want, and never apologize or explain!

    NTW, your knitting is lovely! I'm awed and inspired by you.

    /Diann (http://knitswithcats.blog-city.com)

    By Blogger Diann Lippman, at 1:03 PM  

  • 17 children?!?!? My crotch hurts at the thought.

    By Blogger Jenna, at 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home