The Amazing Adventures of Tom and Bel

Thursday, July 28, 2005

30 Percent



I try to keep my politics mostly off the blog. I figure that's not why most of y'all visit. But this is important to me, damn it all, and I can't ignore it.

This lovely young woman has a child, and is several months pregnant -- and the story (surprise, surprise) is only now getting a little bit of coverage from the mainstream media. It seems the blogosphere has shamed CNN into paying some attention to the case of a non-white young
woman's disappearance.



Now, I know some people might call me paranoid, but as the old folks say, "just 'cause you're paranoid don't mean no one's out to get ya."

I've known for a long time that the only people whose disappearances get national attention are
folks who don't look like me. Just consider: Laci Peterson, Jennifer Wilbanks, Elizabeth Smart, Natalee Holloway. It's not just about money (though that obviously comes to bear: Latoyia's family certainly can't offer a $1M reward as the Holloways have). There's something deeper going on here. The mass media ignores cases if the victims aren't young white women.

See here and here if you think I'm just BS'ing you. If even the McPaper gets it, why don't the rest of them?



There is a fund to raise money for the search, via All Spin Zone. If you can contribute, please consider doing so. If you can't, at least be aware.
African Americans are estimated at 10% of the the population, yet are 30% of the missing persons cases in the FBI's files.

2 Comments:

  • thank you for saying it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:23 PM  

  • I was listening to someone on TV talk about this woman the other day, and I was wondering why we weren't being bombarded with newscasts about her, and then I realized why and it makes me sick. Thank you for saying it.

    By Blogger Peggy, at 2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home