The Amazing Adventures of Tom and Bel

Monday, January 31, 2005

Delphine Along, Anyone?

I was reading a post of Claudia's the other day where she waxed rhapsodic about the work of Delphine Wilson, Brit designer extraordinaire, and it made me think about this:


VK Wtr 96/97.

This confection is from my stash of Vogue Knitting magazines (my collection goes back to '88 or so), and it reminded me strongly of the body consciousness Wilson does so well with her fabulous knitwear. Continuing to peruse the collection, I found these other gems:


VK Fall '00, '02, Wtr 99/00, Wtr 96/97.

All of these are sweaters I strongly lusted after at one point or another, and I think it's time to bite the bullet and do something about it. So I am proposing a Delphine-Along. Any takers?
The "rules", as I see them, would be thus:

1) Patterns may be original or from a knit mag.
2) Garments should be more fitted/body conscious than not.
(note: this does not mean, necessarily, that the sweater needs to be of the "Look! Boobies!" variety.)
3) There should be some clever design element or texture that you haven't tried before.
(For example, I have not made anything with the medieval-type of sleeve that is one of Wilson's signatures, so that is on my list of techniques to include.)

Leave a comment or drop me an email (cmuknits AT yahoo DOT com) if you're interested.

In other news, this is what I was doing at 4:00 am Saturday morning:

Silk Garden hat: if you look very closely, you *may* see the cabled ribs.

I had eight stitches left. I made it.
I totally love this hat.

8 Comments:

  • This is irresistable. You're on!

    By Blogger claudia, at 10:50 AM  

  • OK. What the heck? I'm in. BG. What issue is that? I probably have it stashed at home.

    By Blogger Gewel, at 6:49 AM  

  • Oh dud. Just saw it W 96/97. :)

    By Blogger Gewel, at 6:50 AM  

  • Thanks for the invite, but I'm going to work on Mariah first (as well as try to finish Gerbera!).

    I'd be happy to make you a button for the Delphine-along though! Let me know... :-)

    By Blogger Deenz, at 8:09 AM  

  • You are too great. I am so glad that you did the Desert Island Yarn Game, so that I was able to follow the link to a new amazing knit blogger! I would love to Delphine Along - my only question is how long are you going to KAL for and when will you start? I have design deadlines between now and June and my own KAL with another knitter (TBA - it's a good one!) so I will be booked up for a few months, but if early summer is okay to start I am so there! I have VK back to 1992, so not only do I know that luscious gold-colored cabled sweater at the top of your post - I have started it! (Years ago - frogged it - but will likely go again on the same one).

    I still don't have a blogger account, so to respond, go to http://www.mindofwinter.prettyposies.com and click the link that says "e-mail me" in the side bar. Welcome to the blogging world! xox, MindofWinter Julia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:45 AM  

  • I only discovered Delphine Wilson a couple of days ago, but am completely enchanted and just happen to be obsessed with cables at the moment. It feels like the perfect time.

    I would definitely love to participate in a delphine-along, but might go a bit slower than all you master knitters!

    I think I am going to try and knit something like the brown two tone raglan, the front and back look easy enough, and the sleeves will be an exiting challenge. I know the top will be okay, it's the bottoms I'm worried about. The thing that realy appeals to me about this sweater is that it is two tone, which means I can make it from left over yarn in my stash.

    I love efficiency almost as much as I love this sweater!

    Thanks for the idea.

    By Blogger Jenn Martin, at 5:12 AM  

  • I am currently obsessed with her designs. So unique! Exactly what I look for in a design. I would love to join also, but do have a project in the works. Hope to be able to start designing my own in a couple of weeks (if I can stay focused on wip)
    I don't have a blog yet, but am planning to set one up soon. email avwdriver@hotmail.com. I have been knitting for 4 years, but just recently dove into cables (which aren't as hard as I thought). I am also just getting familiar with writting my own designs! I think this is the perfect way to expand my skills and create something totally my own.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:48 PM  

  • Hi, I found this by searching for Delphine Wilson. I see you started a knitalong. Did anybody make progress on this? For the new year, I've started another Delphine KAL and would love to see how yours turned out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home