The Amazing Adventures of Tom and Bel

Monday, January 10, 2005

...and taxes

My fiance's grandfather* was killed last week, and we have spent the week-end trying to get over the shock, and making arrangements to attend the memorial service next week. It has been a nightmare, emotionally and otherwise. I cannot fathom how someone could possibly choose to deliberately hurt a helpless old man. I will never know what in a person's life could make them become so evil. Because that's what it is: pure evil.
It's why I always say (only half-joking) that I can never be a full-on liberal. I truly believe that some actions are so heinous, so far beyond the pale, that they deserve the ultimate punishment.

I have been knitting like mad. It's the most solace I can find, and I like to think it gives my beloved a tiny sense that normal will return.

*His grandfather was, by all reports, a brilliant scientist, and a cantankerous old fart. I'm so sorry I never got to meet him.

4 Comments:

  • Oh, no! That's a terrible, terrible story. I'm so sorry for you ... why there has to be so much terror and hate in the world, I'll never understand. Jenifer http://knittingat5337.blogdrive.com

    By Blogger jen, at 10:03 AM  

  • Thanks for your kind sympathy, Jenifer - much appreciated by both the Boy-O & myself.

    By Blogger Cher, at 7:19 PM  

  • I'm so very very sorry to read of your loss. I never know what to say when I hear of something like this, but I will pray for you all and I hope your knitting keep you at least a little bit warm.

    (your neighbor on the FiberArts ring)

    By Blogger Joni, at 9:39 PM  

  • Joni - that's exactly the right thing to say. I feel like that too. I appreciate your kind thoughts.

    Cher

    By Blogger Cher, at 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home