The Amazing Adventures of Tom and Bel

Friday, January 21, 2005

And in the darkness bind them...

This is my way of mentioning that I have been added to the Mother of all Knitting Blog rings:



I feel especially smug because I have just gotten in under the wire. The ring is currently closed, as Julie (BoogaJ) is having busy-ness in her life. It will eventually re-open, or not, as she sees fit, but it's pretty cool to have just made it.

So: The trip to Denver was as good as could be expected. Long and painful, but cathartic in many ways.

There was a lot of this:

And this:

I swear there's a Wall Drug sign every 100 feet!

And this:

Guess where? That's right, still more of scenic SD.

There was also a good bit of car knitting, as we spent most days in transit from one place to another.

This:


My kerchief in progress. Too bad it makes me look like a dork.
eventually became a very cute kerchief. The only problem, of course, being that I look like a complete moron in kerchiefs. So it will occasionally go 'round my neck to keep out the evil Minnesota snow.

This is the result of one day's car knitting.

Day one's work - I had to get proof, since it was ripped out immediately following this shot.

was unravelled when I realized how heinously skinny it was, and that there was no end in site if I continued on that path (size 7 needles and a massive number of sts that must be doubled every other round does not a happy knitter make!). Instead I created this lovely bit of foolishness:


The much, much better version of the travelling scarf.

which took about a day and a half of car knitting (including rest stops, lots of eating/drinking/navigating, and a little self-imposed discipline to stop working before permanently ruining my wrists).
It matches the little Vladimir Teriokhin design I made from VK a few years ago -- pattern was originally a dress, but I wasn't that patient -- since it is made from that sweater's leftovers. It's a lovely way to give some new life to that piece.

If you would like to make one, here's the "recipe:"

Cher's Travelling Scarf**
Yarn: Filatura di Crosa Ultralight***
Needles: US 9/6mm.

Cast on 30 sts onto a 6mm ndl.
Row 1 (for our purposes, this is the "right" side): K1, yo, k to last two sts, k2 tog.
Row 2: K 28, k into back of next st, k1.

Repeat these two rows until boredom slaps you in the face.
(note: this only took twelve rows or so for me. Your mileage may vary.)
Decide to add some yarn overs for interest.

Pattern row (Row 3): K1, yo, *ssk, yo*. Repeat from * to * until two sts remain on left ndl. K2 tog.
Row 4: K 28, k into back of next st, k1.

This is a very good time to check your stitch count. If you discover that you have either 29 or 31 sts, you should perhaps re-do the row. Or not. Whatever.
You may add a stitch back on the next right side row by not doing the K2 tog at the end, or doing a k3 together at the end of the pattern row if you have one too many.

And that's all there is to it: work rows 1& 2 six times, then work rows 3 & 4 once. Continue knitting until out of yarn or patience.
My little scarf goes around the neck twice -- I just measured and it's 68" -- and used maybe 100-125 yards of yarn.

Enjoy!

PS If you are a beginner, click here for a translation of the abbreviations I used.

*******

** This pattern is, of course, copyright me, for your individual use only. It is not to be used for classes you teach or to be sold in shops. This pattern is FREE for anyone to use, but please respectful of my wishes and do not distribute/sell/include this pattern on your web site or transfer this pattern in any way without my express written permission and a copyright notice. Any and all rights reserved. (Sigh. I hate even having to think about this.)

*** This yarn is discontinued, but any fuzzy yarn will do. I suggest Lion Brand's Moonlight Mohair if you're looking for a cost-conscious approach, or any of the mohair blends by Mountain Colors if you're feeling indulgent.

3 Comments:

  • Hello, my name is Barrister Barny. I have an 10,000,000 USD in an escrow account that I NEED YOUR HELP in accessing. Total 100% Live NUDE GIRLS will ENLARGE YOUR PENIS no questions asked. As seen on TV, this offer is for a limited time only, G*U*A*R*A*N*T*E*E*D! Sexy nurses will file your tax return or your money back. Just Click Here for more amazing offers!

    (Actually, this is Boy-O testing Blogger's anti-spam capabilities.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:34 PM  

  • Well, I don't know if this is much of a follow-up to the previous post, but thanks for sharing the scarf pattern! I'll bookmark it -- I'm always looking for cute lacey scarves. Sorry to hear about your loss, and sorry your trip through Colorado was so boring -- at least you had some knitting time! Take care, Jenifer http://knittingat5337.blogdrive.com

    By Blogger jen, at 9:31 AM  

  • Hee - Jennifer, Colorado was quite lovely. It was merely the circumstances - and the loooong trip through SD & WY that it took to get there! I am convinced that if we ever move to a smaller town, Boulder is it!

    By Blogger Cher, at 5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home