The Amazing Adventures of Tom and Bel

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Happily Hooking

The last few days have been extremely busy with my day job, so very little crafting has been done. A few rows here and there on the Skirt That Will Not Die, some swatching and measuring for the top to go with it (pictures soon!) , but mostly working on the stuff that pays the rent.

However, I am rediscovering a skill I've neglected for too long.

Patons Classic Merino in Paprika. I am really starting to like this "non-orange" shade of orange.

Challenged by a friend of mine, I figured I'd see if I still remembered how to crochet.
Wonder of wonders, it came back in a flash. I am unreasonably pleased with myself.

Crochet vs Knitting: I learned both crafts around the same time, but knitting was always more my "thing." At the time I began my fiber explorations, most everything was written for right-handers, so learning to reverse it all was difficult. Another huge factor was that there were much more fashionable resources available for knitting, and the bulk of the crocheted items I saw were just that: bulky and old-fashioned. I didn't really want to make doilies or TP covers then (although that may have changed - have you seen this?), so I became almost exclusively a knitter.

Later in my knitting career, I got a hold of a *fabulous* special issue from Vogue Knitting that I still love - if you can find it, do pick it up. And not long after there were great new books like Melissa Leapman's Crochet with Style - for my money, it's still one of the best for wearable crocheted garments. Nowadays, of course, many more resources are becoming available.
Yet it's still a skill I rarely exercise.
So I decided it's going to be my new Crafty Grrl resolution - make better use of the other skills I've got! Should be fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home