The Amazing Adventures of Tom and Bel

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Fashion-ista

ONE of my favorite pastimes is cruising style.com when the spring and fall shows are happening, to get a sense of what's out there (and how far out it is) in the world of fashion. I certainly don't have a couture budget, but I've got a heck of an imagination and I can easily see which details catch my fancy (and can be adapted to knitting).

I will always love Anna Sui's ragamuffin chic styles even if I'd drop myself from a cliff before I put any of it on. Her use of color is nothing short of inspirational, and leads me to combinations I never expected to enjoy. Monique Lhuillier is becoming a veritable force of nature with her stunning evening wear (she's got a rose colored lace dress that is particularly sexy - imagine a simple tank in a soft merino like Jaeger Extrafine or Rowan 4ply Soft and a stockinette-based lace pattern that's not too open -- ooh la la!).

So my suggestion to those of you who don't think you can design is to try fishing for ideas amongst the kings and queens of fashion. Frequently, a little piece of an idea is all it takes to send you off on your own journey, fashioning something that is uniquely your own.

2 Comments:

  • Monique L. designed my wedding dress! It's so cool that you'd mention her. I, too, scour the mags to find inspiration - great fun.
    MOW Julia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:32 PM  

  • No matter how old I get, I will alwyas love Betsy Johnson. I still have a tiny little baby doll dress that i'd love to be able to wear again some day. bg.

    And I'm gonna start Delphining this weekend. Wow! New verb! I'll garb your button for my blog ASAP.

    By Blogger Gewel, at 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home