The Amazing Adventures of Tom and Bel

Friday, February 09, 2007

Problem Solver

Part of my job is to resolve pattern problems (as best I can). Though of course we proofread them, we are only human and mistakes happen.
[Aside: KP is a small company (6 of us, and two of whom are in brand new positions) - I am constantly amazed that the catalog can be produced by just a few people!]

I'll admit, corrections is my least favorite part of the gig, but it is always instructive. I think it will ultimately make me a better pattern writer, deciding on ways to phrase an instruction or technique so that they make sense to the greatest number of knitters. I have to constantly challenge/remind myself that (thankfully) no one can read my mind just yet, and therefore I mustn't *assume* that everyone knits at the same level I do.

With that in mind, I'd like to ask a question: what's the most confusing thing you've encountered in a knitting pattern?

1 Comments:

  • It's not incorrect, but the "at the same time" instructions (ie, decreasing for an armscye and neckline simultaneously but at different decrease rates) always throw me for a bit of a loop. But how to explain that concisely (without line-by-line instructions or a graph)?

    By Blogger June, at 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home