The Amazing Adventures of Tom and Bel

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Home Again

Whew! We are back from our whirlwind tour of everything kid friendly in the San Francisco Bay Area. And goodness, do we need a vacation from our vacation.

Boy-O with N & T at the GG Bridge Memorial Point. I think this is my favorite picture from the trip.


Pier 39. All that is tacky and touristy can be found here. Of course the kids loved it.


Penguin exhibit @ the Monteray Bay Aquarium. They play Carribean music and the penguins totally bop along to the beat.

Don't think I mentioned this before, but these adorable folks are my brother's youngest two, ages 5 & 7 (who currently live w/my mom). N was on spring break, so we planned the trip to coincide with that.
(Needless to say, Grandma enjoyed the break, too!)

I also got to meet the rest of Boy-O's family on the paternal side (Grandpa and the aunts). Coming from an incredibly huge family (between them, my parents have 26 siblings), I am constantly surprised at how few relatives he has. It's a completely different world.

Knittingwise, I came to my senses and only took the Boy-O's scarf. It was the perfect thing, since I could practically knit this in my sleep. I think I was, at some points - travelling with the little people was very busy and we frequently found ourselves going to bed just after they did(!). Still, no major errors and there was actually a tiny bit of progress.

And of course, there was souvenir yarn: I was very restrained in my trip to ArtFibers (difficult though that was!) as I only had about 30 minutes to visit. I picked out a skein of the Golden Chai for the Mom-O (J, they do offer online ordering if you want more), one skein of the cotton/stainless steel Tesla to play with:


(I blame Claudia's lovely sweater for this purchase.)

and a bag of Kurasawa:

It is 50% merino, 50% silk and 100% Mine. Whee!

I have no idea what I will do with it, but I Could Not Put It Down, and therefore it is now mine.
(The swatching area is just brilliant. I love being able to sit down and play with the yarn before I take it home.)
This stuff feels like butter and has gorgeous, subtle variegation - my absolute favorite things in a yarn.)

Normally, if you buy a bag of yarn, they'll create a custom pattern for you, but I didn't have enough time on this visit, so I'll have to come up with something myself. It will be a real pleasure.

2 Comments:

  • "Still, no major errors and there was actually a tiny bit of progress" - are you talking about the scarf or the kids or the vacation or life in general? It's a great line and useful for any occasion!

    Lovely pictures of three of my favorite people in two of my favorite places. Thanks.

    The Golden Chai is incredible. I don't think I've ever felt anything quite like it. Thank you SO much for the chance to play with it. I actually had been looking at it on the website and daydreaming! (I don't think I mentioned that when you gave it to me, it was such a shock to actually be holding it my hand. Like magic!)

    Are you going to knit Tommy a Tesia Thunder Jacket?

    Mom-o

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:28 AM  

  • I, too, did not have time to wait for them to write up a custom pattern. Luckily, tney offered to mail it to me. I swatched when I got home and emailed them my gauge and what kind of sweater I wanted to make. They kindly emailed me the pattern followed up with a snailmail pattern AND schematic. See my Tesla swatch on my blog.

    We must have the same taste b/c Golden Chai, Sherlock and Tesla came home with me.

    By Blogger badmomgoodmom, at 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home