The Amazing Adventures of Tom and Bel

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

KP CotLin

One of the perks of working at KP is getting to play with our new yarns before they are generally available. This is a fun task for me, as I love to swatch.
(Yeah, I know. I'm a little weird that way.)
Playing around with a new yarn just for the sake of being creative gives me joy like few other things (in my yarn-related life) do.

So when I learned we were getting a new DK weight yarn, I was thrilled to get the chance to experiment with it. For one thing, DK is my favorite weight of yarn to work with (it's good for all sizes of people, and doesn't take forever to knit even a large sweater) and for another, I absolutely love the feel of 100% linen yarn, but don't neccessarily like to knit with it. This one is a good compromise between the softness of an unmercerized cotton and the sturdiness of linen.

Behold:



(Sorry for the washed out photo - I just couldn't get my little camera to take an accurate one! In real life, this color (Moroccan Red) is incredibly vibrant (as are all the colors in this line).

Yarn: CotLin
Needle size: 4
Unblocked Gauge: 5.25 sts/9.5 rows = 1"
Machine Washed & Dried Gauge : 6 sts/9.75 rows = 1"

The swatch is so much softer now, and I think it will continue to soften with repeated washes, just like 100% linen does. I really like the way it feels next to my skin.
It would be excellent for 'warshrags' as well as clothing.

I'm thinking of it will be the perfect yarn for the DomiKNITrix Elfin Goth Knitalong. I had thought to make the sweater in this red, but now I'm leaning towards Key Lime. It's saucy and bright- just the thing to make brighten up the dark days of Spring in the PNW!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Hey! I'm just catching up, so Congratulations! That sounds like a dreamy job! :)

    By Blogger Gewel, at 7:07 AM  

  • Thanks, Gewel - I really do like the job.

    By Blogger Cher, at 8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home