The Amazing Adventures of Tom and Bel

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Manly Knits

Fact: I never follow a pattern as written. I am always trying to jazz it up.
Fact: My beloved only likes uncomplicated clothing.

This sweater is one of those rare and perfect compromises:

Melissa Leapman's sweater, from the Fall 04 Interweave Knits. Copyrights are of course the property of IK.

Boring enough for him to wear, interesting enough for me to knit. We both love it.
(Besides, if I make it, then I am of course entitled to borrow it. BWAHAHAHA.)


One of the sleeves.


I am knitting both sleeves at the same time, which I am sure gains me a place in the hereafter ... 'cause I surely ain't having fun now!

I feel as if I'm making no progress at all, though I am aware that that can't possibly be true.
It can't, right?
Right?
(For goodness' sake, if it is, I don't want to know. I demand to be lied to!)

One of my favorite blog writers likes to list things that she has learned in the making of a project. While I can't say that I've learned much thus far, I can say that I've firmed up my knowledge of my knitting habits:

1) I should not start making a textured sweater with the sleeves.
This particular sweater has a twelve row repeat. While admittedly, half on of those rows you simply maintain the pattern, that still leaves you with six rows to learn. Not to mention that you are constantly adjusting the pattern due to the increases.
(There has been public frogging. And equally public usage of language my mother Would Not Be Proud Of. I am duly ashamed.)

2) There should be no conversations/presidential debates/mildly stimulating film watching, etc. until you have memorized the pattern.
This leads, again, to Frogging and Bad Language. See above.

3) Hide the knitting from the creatures.
I can't imagine why, but both Dog & Doggette are blissfully unaware that the knitting is not for them. I am sure I sent that memo...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home